– Indiana Division of Aging
Hoosiers age 80 and older have been selected to be among the first to receive the COVID-19 vaccine because they are at a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19. The vaccine provides another level of protection to keep them and loved ones safe.
Visit ourshot.in.gov to find a vaccination site near you. Please sign up!
Here are some facts you should know:
- The vaccine has received Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA after completing three phases of testing involving 43,000 participants
- The Centers for Disease and Prevention’s (CDC’s) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has reviewed the vaccine and recommends its use
- The Indiana Department of Health’s external advisory committee of experts has reviewed the clinical trial data and also approves its administration
- The vaccine is available at no cost
- It is a two-part vaccine, so you must get a second dose after the first dose after 21 days or 28 days, depending on the manufacturer
- Please continue to wear a mask, stay physically distant, and wash your hands even after being fully vaccinated
Based on clinical trials on thousands of people:
- The vaccine is at least 94% effective at preventing COVID-19 for all adults (including 65 and older), genders, and race and ethnicity demographics
- Few side effects were reported but included headache (2%) and fatigue (4%)
- Study participants reached full effectiveness seven days
Visit ourshot.in.gov to find a vaccination site near you. If an individual does not have access to a computer, call 211 to register. This information is also available as a flyer and may be downloaded by clicking here.
Source: The Division of Aging is a program of the Indiana Family & Social Services Administration. If you have questions about Aging programs and services, visit us online at www.IN.gov/fssa/aging.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering Home Care Services in Indianapolis, IN, please call the caring staff at Home Services Unlimited. Serving Greater Indianapolis Area. Call for Immediate Info & Assistance: 317-471-0775
- Care Management: When Is it Time to Get Care Management Help? - June 14, 2021
- Care Management: What Does Care Management Do for Your Senior? - May 20, 2021
- What Kinds of Exercise Goals Should Your Senior Consider? - May 12, 2021